Safe home remedies for cough in children
Cold accompanied with cough is very common in children. It is true that coughing is the defense mechanism of the body to get rid of the mucus from the body. However, as a parent you can’t help worrying when your child suffers from continuous coughing. Every parent is sure to feel anxious to control and curb coughing in their kids. If you do want to do something to help your child, here is a tip. You should go for home remedies first before going for any medical action. Home remedies are as effective as and sometimes more effective than syrups and medicines.
Your kitchen is the safest medical shop. There are many remedies that you can make from your kitchen to control your child’s cough. What are the safe and effective home remedies for cough in children?
- Honey – This is the most commonly used home remedy for cough. Is it really effective? Yes, honey is a natural antimicrobial agent. It has the property of enhancing secretion of saliva which is helpful in thinning of mucus.
- Lemon – Lemon boosts immunity. It is a rich source of vitamin C that helps in improving the immunity of your child. Honey with lemon juice is a proven home remedy to decrease the severity of cough.
- Ginger – Ginger has anti viral properties that help in improving the symptoms of cold including coughing. Ginger has a strong flavor and taste. It is not recommended for infants. Ginger juice mixed with honey and lemon makes a wonderful cough syrup for older children.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is a natural ingredient with antiseptic properties. Turmeric added to a warm glass of milk gives relief from cough. You can also add homey to make it tastier and more effective.
- Natural concoction – Take two teaspoons of jiggery, one teaspoon of black pepper powder, a little cumin seeds, one teaspoon of coriander seeds, thulsi leaves and an inch of dry ginger. Add these ingredients to a cup of water. Boil the water. Filter and let it cool. Give two teaspoons of the concoction to your baby. It gives relief from cough and soothes sore throat.
- Massage – Add a few camphor balls to coconut oil. Heat the oil over flame until camphor dissolves. Rub the oil over the chest of your baby. Cover with a warm towel to make sure the heat from massaging is retained.
- Natural rubs and balms – Vaporubs and balms give warmth to your child’s body. The herbs and essential oils included in the balms help in clearing the mucus. Once the mucus is cleared coughing will automatically be cured. Make sure you use herbal balms like Nasobuddy.
- Saline drops – If you want to give relief from cough to your child you have to clear blocked noses too. Saline drops are a safe natural remedy to get rid of mucus in the nose.
- Nasal aspirator – A nasal aspirator is a must if you have a little child. It helps in clearing the mucus from your baby’s nostrils easily without causing any harm to the delicate skin. A good nasal aspirator like Nasobuddy is a wonderful choice.
Try these home remedies. If coughing persists in your child you should visit a certified medical practitioner.