It is winter. The air outside is cold and dry. It may cause health issues like dry skin, sinus and respiratory problems etc. Well, you can do nothing to regulate the temperature and dryness of air outside. The good news is that you can reduce the dryness of air inside your home with the help of humidifiers. Are you interested in buying a humidifier before harsh winter sets in? You should make sure that you buy the right humidifier. To make the right choice you should know the different types of humidifiers.
What are the types of humidifiers?
There are two main types of humidifiers. They are warm mist humidifier and cool mist humidifier.
Warm mist humidifier
This works by heating water and emitting steam into the air. They produce warm and soothing mist.
Vaporizer is one of the types of warm mist humidifiers. Most of the warm mist humidifiers are vaporizers. It is an electrical device that uses electricity to heat hot water inside. The vapor from the boiling water cools while leaving the machine to increase the humidity of the room.
Ultrasonic warm mist humidifiers are very silent because they use ultrasonic technology to disperse warm mist.
What are the pros of warm mist humidifiers?
- They are good for giving relief from colds and flu.
- The mist produced from warm mist humidifiers tend to be cleaner than the cool mist humidifiers because the boiling process kills waterborne mold and bacteria.
- They collect the minerals that are left over from heating the water.
- They are quieter than cool mist humidifiers.
- They are cozy during winter months.
- Warm humidifiers with medicine cups are very useful to add essential oils or other liquid inhalants with medicinal properties.
- It increases the temperature of the room slightly making your winters cozy.
What are the cons?
- They are not recommended if you have little children because it can cause serious risks of burns.
- Electric devices may shoot up your electricity bills.
- It is difficult to clean the mineral deposits left over.
- They may harm indoor plants in your home.
Cool mist humidifiers
Cool mist humidifier also increases the humidity of the room but without heating water. There are three main types of cool mist humidifiers.
Ultrasonic humidifier produces cool air with the help of ultrasonic vibration. They have vibrating discs that create ultrasonic waves to increase the internal pressure of the water until the pressure is more than the vapor pressure of the air in the room. Then it is forced out into the air.
Evaporative cool mist humidifiers blow moisture into the air with the help of fan that blow air from a wet belt or wick. They are a little noisier because of the sound of rotating fans.
Impeller cool mist humidifier produces cool air with rotating disk. They are very quiet and do not need filter.
What are the pros of cool mist humidifiers?
- Safety is the biggest advantage of cool mist humidifiers.
- It will not make the room hot. This is a big plus for tropical countries.
- It covers a wide area.
- They are money saving because they are energy efficient.
- They will not cause any damage to indoor plants and wooden furniture.
- You can add healing vapors to help in giving relief from respiratory issues.
- It is portable and can be shifted easily from one room to another when compared to warm mist humidifiers.
What are the cons of cool mist humidifiers?
- You have to use only distilled water for cool mist humidifiers. If you use tap water it will leave minerals as residues.
- The water is not boiled and sterilized in this type of humidifier. This increases the risk of spreading of microbes in the air.
- You have to clean them frequently to avoid the risk of spreading of bacteria and viruses.
Warm Vs Cool – Which is better?
If you are planning to use it in the kids’ bedroom, cool mist humidifier is a better choice because of safety concerns. It is the right choice in hot places because it does not increase the room temperature. Cool mist is easy to breathe when compared to hot mist.
Hot mist humidifiers need less maintenance. If you are too busy to clean humidifiers frequently, you can go for hot mist humidifiers. Moreover, it is the right choice in very cold places.
Decide which one will suit your home after weighing the pros and cons and considering your needs. If cold and dry air is not a problem in your area and if you just want to give relief to your baby from cold and flu symptoms, you should consider the usage of nasal aspirators and chest rub from Nasobuddy that contain natural and harmless ingredients.