Who can suggest home remedies for minor illnesses better than your grandma? If you have a grandmother I am sure she would suggest honey, ginger, turmeric and pepper for cough, banana stem for kidney stones, soaked raisins for constipation, asafetida for digestion and lots more.
Should you listen to her treatment options or just ignore them as just myths and superstitions? Listening to and following home remedies is not wrong.
Here is why :
- Scientific evidence : Western medicine is on a trip of rediscovering health benefits of centuries old home remedies, which were earlier brushed aside as tall tales. Drugs manufactured with the same ingredients become expensive because they are processed in factories, packed and marketed. Here is an example. Black cumin seeds, used as a spice in Indian cooking, have a lot of health benefits. They help in improving digestion, in boosting immunity and in treating cancer without any side effects. In the modern days its benefits have been forgotten and ignored. Today researches have proved that they do help in destroying cancer cells. A drug company has got the patent rights for making medicines with black cumin seeds as ingredient. It definitely will charge a lot of money to sell the medicines made form black cumin seeds. Why should you waste your hard earned money?
- They are safe to use. Medicines with chemicals and synthetic ingredients cause dangerous side effects. Grandma’s home medicines are usually vegetables, fruits and spices from your kitchen shelves. They don’t cause any side effects. While the modern medicines destroy your immunity, grandma’s medicines build your immunity apart from treating the illness.
- They are easily available. Unlike the exotic herbs used in Ayurveda, grandma’s remedies are easy to find and mostly food ingredients. Ayurvedic texts too shed light on the benefits of using these versatile ingredients.
- They are effective. Most of the home remedies suggested by grand moms have been studied by research scholars and have been proven to be effective. For example turmeric’s benefits have been well established in both western medicine and ayurveda.
- They treat the cause and not the symptoms unlike conventional medicines that treat the symptoms.
But this doesn’t mean that you should ignore your pediatricians treatment choices. As in life, there is truth on both sides of the argument. Do not attempt to try every possible home remedy out there. Use home remedies that has a scientific rationality and a long history of evidences backing it.
Make use of the safest treatment choices available from both Western and Indian medicine, to help your child . In the end that is what matters.
This is the core principle behind Nasobuddy’s products, safe treatment choices backed by scientific evidences.